About this Event
The 15 kilometers road race will be held at Nyangoma Secondary School on 9th December 2017 in Siaya County starting at 8:00am. This road race aims at raising funds for community based programs to supplement efforts in provision of medical support for sickle cell patients.
In pursuit of its mandate under this program, SOWO Foundation has partnered with the Office of the First Lady Siaya County, Siaya Referral Hospital, Siaya Sickle cell Association, and Doctors from Kenyatta National Hospital to organize this event.
SOWO SICKLE CELL CAMPAIGN DOCUMENTARY
The current sickle cell prevalence study conducted by Ministry of Health from February 2014 – March 2015 shows that 17% of Kenyans have a sickle cell trait and 2% have the sickle cell disease.
Proceeds from the marathon will fund testing, medicine and awareness campaigns. The marathon seeks partners, sponsors, participants and volunteers to help spearhead the fight against Sickle cell. We would like to invite you to partner with us for this noble cause
Order your event T-Shirt today and get an entry to participate in the 2017 Mama Sarah Obama SOWO Marathon: Run for Sickle Cell. Your participation to this events will help save lives.
- Provide free screening, testing and counseling services - this gives citizens a chance to establish their sickle cell status, which is critical even as they start courtship with their future partners and hence stem spread of the disease.
- To eliminate the myth and stigmatization associated with the disease amongst community members
- Conduct rigorous awareness campaigns, using all communication platforms, and organizing medical camps and provide education on management of the disease through proper medication and proper diet.
- Engage the services of qualified medical practitioners and health experts (pharmacists , Doctors, Nutritionists) who may offer the following services;
- Administration of drugs.
- Bone marrow transplant
- Blood transfusion
- Stimulate & magnify the awareness of sickle cell disease and its prevention across Kenya and sensitization of the public on the dangers of irrational use of medicines resulting in drug resistance.
- Lobby the National and County governments to formulate sustainable policy framework for sickle cell patients.
- Create a community event for everyone’s enjoyment